Thursday, October 8, 2015

Noisy Pitta plays role as silent partner

Friendship time at Jourama Falls today with Noisy Pitta (Pitta versicolor) showing remarkable lack of concern at my presence in its patch of drying rainforest. The bird was standing quietly at base of cluster fig tree as I walked along track linking the camping ground with short length of road to the falls parking area.

It paid no attention as I struggled to ground and wriggled this way and that to get a view unblocked by leaf litter and weeds. Then came an extended conversation as I circled the bird. It picked at fallen fruit, then went on to turn over leaves and litter in search of meatier fare. More than 10 minutes passed before the Pitta pattered off. At any next meeting the bird will almost certainly exhibit no such unconcern. Magical moments come on nature's terms, not ours.

No comments:

Some birds close to my heart of things

Home's where the heart is, close to home's where many of my birds are. Benefit of buying into retirement village surrounded by conse...