Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Budget time brings out the bigmouths

Budget time brings out the bigmouths - and they don't come much bigger than that of Tawny Frogmouth.

Lucky me this week, $75 from my loving Guvmint (Messrs Slomo and Spincrap) and daytime sighting of frogmouth in the open.

So $50 outlaid on The Australian Bird Guide (CSIRO Publishing) flies back speedily, with interest.
And if you're interested, the new guide is pretty good value. Not perfect (what, or who, is?) but weightier in words, art and intent than older rivals. Too weighted toward rarities and distant islands for my liking. Little on nests and noises (where Morecombe shines). Is there to be an app? I don't know. If buying, check print consistency. Variable print pages among early sellers.


No comments:

Some birds close to my heart of things

Home's where the heart is, close to home's where many of my birds are. Benefit of buying into retirement village surrounded by conse...