Thursday, August 18, 2011

Sidling up on Brolgas - and a salty


Used the Camry hide to (s)idle up on Brolgas (Grus rubicunda) at roadside pool near Ingham today.


Immature bird even less alarmed than parent (top picture). Useless snippet: one of Australia's largest birds comes with one of shortest names.

Also looming large just down the highway, at Cattle Creek, two-metre-plus saltwater crocodile. Yesterday's picture. Today, very quick into water, possibly on to pattern in my appearances. 


Definitely non-threatening, pair of Olive-backed Sunbirds (Nectarinia jugularis) show typical cheek on tourists' campervan at Jourama Falls yesterday.


Also at Jourama, Wompoo Fruit-Dove (Ptilinopus magnificus).


Bird busy defending food tree from - among others - Topknot Pigeon (Lopholaimus antarcticus). Both species more often found in higher forest - before Cyclone Yasi.   
Click pix to enlarge

3 comments:

Denis Wilson said...

Hi Tony
Love the Wompoo Pigeon.
I'll pass on the Salty, thanks.
Cheers
Denis

mick said...

Love the Brolgas - I have yet to see my first one :-( Also I haven't seen a Croc in the wild - BUT - I don't want to!

Tyto Tony said...

Give global warming a real go and you'll have salties in any mangroves near you!!!

Some birds close to my heart of things

Home's where the heart is, close to home's where many of my birds are. Benefit of buying into retirement village surrounded by conse...