Monday, May 4, 2015

Painted Snipe sets off magic mangrove morning

Well, well, well, look who's standing around on a part-flooded track in the mangroves southeast of Ingham today. My rare friend from a flooded paddock in Orient Station last month, a male Australian Painted Snipe (Rostratula australis). 


And not just standing there, but throwing in a little bit of feather twirling before taking off.  

But look, look, look, almost on top of us both, the target species of the morning, a Mangrove Robin (Peneonanthe pulverulenta). Big bonus, sitting on nest and hopping off now and then to grab a quick feed.

And listen, listen, listen, and look at these lovely singers nearby, Striated Pardalotes (Pardalotus striatus), lerp-eating residents of the coastal gums.

Quite a morning.

1 comment:

John Kooistra said...

My,my,my what a magic mangrove morning you certainly did have! Thanks for sharing Tony.

Some birds close to my heart of things

Home's where the heart is, close to home's where many of my birds are. Benefit of buying into retirement village surrounded by conse...