Friday, November 14, 2014

Masked Lapwing youngsters stand out

Cute youngsters showing out in wetlands these days, without often standing around for picture, so happy to come upon pair of Masked Lapwing (Vanellus miles) juveniles up close at Mungalla Station.


Pretty sure I've got them both: their parents weren't much help.


Very helpful in Tyto  the other morning, my favourite White-browed Crake (Amaurornis cinerea). The more I talk the closer the bird walks.

Unlike distant Eastern Yellow Wagtail (Motacilla tschutschensis) in Mungalla today. Flighty migrant kept whizzing across muddy Palm Creek, forcing me into gumboots. Much squelching came to nothing much bar a boot full of mud and salvinia. Still, first sighting for me this season. 

No comments:

Head up for dragonfly, head off for fish head . . .

One moment it's dragonfly trying to dance on White-bellied Sea-Eagle's head, the next it's all go for fisher's discarded fis...