Sunday, August 24, 2008

Fungi fun and name games

Coming to an 'understanding' of the problem

Covered the almost endless depths of my ignorance about slime moulds by delving into Bruce Fuhrer's Field Guide to Australian Fungi. What then could be simpler than finding fungi in the rainforest, getting them to smile and say cheese (and truffles) and naming them all from the book. Too easy!

Sure, most snakes are almost impossible to photograph, let alone name. Little brown birds can make one a twittering wreck. But a few fungi. How hard can that be?

Much harder than expected. Few fungi found. Not all photographed well. And even with book in hand names didn't pop out easily - or at all. But I liked the pictures enough to give two of the fungi a run.

Naturally, we'll start with a mystery entry. Can't find anything like this one in the book. Seems to be a 'clumper' that's been growing for quite some time. Width about 150mm. The picture is a view from above. The same species, shot from below and growing on the same fallen tree, opens this post.


Think I'm on surer ground with this one. Microporus xanthopus is found throughout tropical Australia. Large (up to 90mm) and small. I find the funnel 'flowers' mainly on small fallen branches in drier patches of forest.

2 comments:

Gouldiae said...

G'day Tony,
Aren't fungi fun, even with Fuhrer? (Hope you don't mind the alliteration.) I reckon a few of the fungi-philes in the blogosphere will put you on the right track.
Gouldiae

Tyto Tony said...

Hi Peter,
Alliteration's all in the ration of fun. Avoid too much moderation, I say. Yes, I'm hoping a name will attach to my fungi. I've decided to try a bit harder myself in future. Never know where things might lead. And that's a good thing!
Tony

Head up for dragonfly, head off for fish head . . .

One moment it's dragonfly trying to dance on White-bellied Sea-Eagle's head, the next it's all go for fisher's discarded fis...